Eleven years of research, design and leadership. Some of the projects I've worked on are under Non-Disclosure Agreements - for these I've only included white-labled designs and indicative figures.
September 2018 - present: UX designer / researcher for ACM
I’m leading a complete redesign of the Case Management software AdvicePro for a small but dynamic software house:
- planned and carried out a program of user research including contextual enquiry, interviews and data mapping
- created a new information architecture / user interface with input from the whole team - starting with sketching workshops and storyboards
- I’m currently building up a library of accessible components using an Atomic Design approach
- I’m coaching the team on Agile methods: building user stories in two-week sprints and tracking work with a Kanban board
March 2018 - June 2018: Content / CMS lead for ACCA
Content and design lead for ACCA's Digital Foundations project, working as part of a team of four Consultants from Quorum:
- planning a Discovery project - including research activities, a series of workshops and a set of deliverables
- creating customer journeys / sitemaps based on user needs and Google analytics
- using Google Analytics to evaluate current customer journeys
- working with designers, content strategists and developers to create a redesign strategy for ACCA's online service
April 2017 - February 2018: UX Analyst for Clydesdale Bank
As part of a large UX team I developed Clydesdale Bank's suite of apps using research and data:
- leading on improving the Bank’s analytics and data gathering by setting up a regular steering group
- using Adobe Analytics to provide actionable insights to Agile teams
- UX design – requirements gathering and prototyping new user journeys in Sketch for stakeholder reviews
- leading daily UX team stand-ups and reporting progress to management
January - March 2017: UX Designer for Scottish Enterprise
Supported the Digital First transformation programme at Scottish Enterprise by providing UX design for teams doing Agile discovery:
- starting an accessibility steering group and defining a team accessibility approach to ensure our new products can be used by all
- supporting 5 day sprints based on Google Ventures, with UX design and facilitating meetings
- sketching ideas then doing rapid prototyping in Axure and Bootstrap for lab-based testing
- running remote user testing with What Users Do
- building and maintaining a library of components for Scottish Enterprise’s new online service
May - December 2016: UX lead for digital transformation
UX lead for a major transformation programme at Royal London:
- rapid prototyping to explore ideas in the agile discovery phase, including mobile screen flows
- customer journey mapping and user research, including constructing personas
- coaching colleagues on Agile methods and UX/UI design
May 2015 - May 2016: Protection Extranet for Royal London
In 2015 I redesigned the Protection Online Service for Royal London, as part of an enthusiastic Agile team. Royal London increased their market share and picked up four awards in the 2016 FT Online Innovation and Service awards, including Best Company, and Best Innovation for the new service. The service takes in over £1 million of new business every week.
I began with sketches, working with Business Analysts and the Product Owner to refine the requirements. I then worked with a Digital Designer to refine the look and feel and applly the company brand.
I created wireframes and interactive prototypes in Axure and reviewed them with front end developers and testers. We used Bootstrap to create a dashboard, online form and log in process.
I ran user testing to validate my designs, and have led on the use of Google Analytics to test our designs after releases.
I worked with the test team to target a range of browsers and devices to ensure the new Extranet would be fully responsive.
2014 Online booking system
Worked with two other UX Designers to develop a new online service system for City Holdings, a Glasgow-based facilities management firm.
We started creating personas and user flows then produced wireframes for developers.
For my contribution, I:
- led user testing with City staff and delivered the results to business owners
- designed wireframes in Illustrator, building up a library of styles and components
- created functional specs for developers
- built interactive prototypes in Axure and html5
2010-2013 led the UX process for an online service
Worked with UI designers, business analysts and developers to continuously improve the customer experience for students and their families. We based our priorities on Customer Insight and analytics, including A/B testing.
I ran user testing with User Vision and collected insights using Google Analytics to continuously improve the customer experience.
In 2010 I ran user testing with the Government Digital Service and the results were presented to the SLC board. The result was a £90 million transformation project to launch a new online service, which ran until a successful launch in 2013.
2011 led project to rebuild Student Loans Company corporate sites
Worked with a UI designer, external developers, business analysts and administrators to completely rebuild the SLC corporate site and microsites, implementing a modern Umbraco platform. I began with analytics and sitemapping and delivered a successful launch at the end of 2011.
After the launch I wrote and maintained a style guide for the look and feel, and UI elements.
2011 designed new password reset process for the Student Loans Company
Worked with a UI designer and Customer Insight manager to produce new screen flow and content for the online password process. We tested a new design with live students. After the project, password reset calls to SLC dropped by 50%.
2010 built and managed Student Finance England site
Worked with a developer and a team of internal stakeholders to create a campaign site for English students, attracting over 200,000 visits in the summer of 2010. We used analytics, user testing and regular input from the Customer Insight team to optimise the site.
2007 - 2010 Content and UX for the Student Loans Company
The My Application and Offer project took over a year of planning and implementation. I managed lab-based usability testing with User Vision in Darlington for student volunteers. This was the first user testing of its kind in SLC's history. I used the findings to optimise online content and interactions.